9.15.2012

Soul-mates: Truth, Myth, or Nightmare.

soulmate (or soul mate) is a lifelong partner that is predetermined by God. Believed by some to be the person with whom one has a feeling of deep or natural affinitysimilaritylovesexintimacysexualityspirituality, or compatibility. (Wikipedia) 

As an adolescent, I found the idea of soulmates to be romantic and sweet.  I just sift through life and my soulmate will find me... so naive. 

As an adult, I find the whole idea terrifying, juvenile and unreasonable. I mean, how can we be expected to just wait around for this symbolic person that is supposed to complete us in every possible way? I'm far too controlling for that. And what happens if we miss them? I mean, I could be having a bad day and decide to not smile at the cute guy at the deli. Or I could run out of gas on way to the Salvation Army and then... no more soulmate?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the desire to put the whole process in the hands of fate. I, however, can't bring myself to trust anyone that much; especially someone as unreliable as fate. Furthermore, I refuse to believe that out of 7 billion people there is only one that is compatible with me. I mean, I'm really not that complicated. 

I prefer, instead, the idea that your "soulmate" is not predetermined by God or fate or anyone else. I prefer to think the ideal mate is the person that comes into your life when you're ready for them, and they're ready for you, and both parties are ready, and willing to put in the time and energy to develop a strong and successful bond that morphs into a shared life with your best friend. To me, that is far more realistic, and romantic, than walking through life just watching and waiting with no control over your own future. 

2 comments:

JD-Maybe said...

There are a few soul mates for each person. They do exist. You can be complicated, we all are.

D said...

How can there be multiple? What if you meet two at the same time? What if all my soulmates are abusive, or conservative, or gay? I just don't believe a partner, in business or in life, can be predetermined like that.