7.10.2013

The longer the wedding the shorter the marriage.

I don't know if anyone's ever said that but it sounds good so I'll go with it. As "wedding season" starts to die down I've had a chance to critique others' lifelong decision that still sends a chill down my spine.

A wedding is a beautiful, special and significant event. That's right, an event. It's technically just a party. As long as you don't gain 20 pounds the week before, and the bar doesn't run out of whiskey, the night will be a success. A marriage, on the other hand, is far more complicated.

A marriage is so much more than a single event. It's a combination of events, both good and bad, shared by two people. Or more for polygamists but that's another blog. Unlike a wedding, a marriage takes work. You're not just choosing between red velvet and vanilla cream, you're choosing a life partner. I use "life partner" to mean, partner in the business of life. Not necessarily "for life" because no one should be expected to make that kind of contract. Would you lease an apartment for life? Of course not. I can barely handle my 2 year plan with AT&T.

So in summary, what I've discovered is that people, especially women, tend to confuse the want for a wedding with the want for a marriage. If you wouldn't be just as happy with the same person saying the same vows in an abandoned building on skid row, maybe getting married isn't the best idea. I'm sure you have a birthday coming up.

1 comment:

JD-Maybe said...

Were you watching Bridezillas again? HA! Funny you are contemplating this outplayed phenomenon because I am too. Probably has to do with our chosen careers but marriage is seriously overrated. Don't tell anyone tho because if they stop marrying---we will go broke!