7.02.2013

High Expectations.


It's my biggest fault. I expect every day to be sunny and warm. This is LA, so that's generally the case. I expect sloppy kisses in the morning, a hot shower, and a smooth mildly trafficy drive to work. If I go to work. Because I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to decide. These expectations are simple, I guess, which is why I list them first. 

Specific events, however, I may be expecting a but much. I expect every date to be straight out of The Notebook. If a guy doesn't climb up the Ferris Wheel to see me, it's just not gonna work out. I expect all my clients to be honest and understanding. But I'm a lawyer. I expects friends to be supportive and fun and for the most part most of them are. I also expect to succeed in everything I do which, if you've seen me ride a bike, or bake a cake, you'd know is a stretch. 

Today I went into a courtroom expecting an instant replay from A Few Good Men but with pointy-toe pumps and pastel highlighters. What I got was a band-aid commercial. It was quick and easy and I didn't get to yell at anyone. To say the least, I was disappointed. 

I should have known my over prepared self, in my pressed pants suit with my colored highlighters, was preparing for diss disappointment when I couldn't spot my Nicholson lookalike in the hallway. But I didn't. 

I'm sure I'll look back on this day and think, "Wow! That could've been way worse!" But right now, for today, I'm gonna look in the mirror at my liquid eyeliner, pearl studs and perfect bun screaming, "I Want The Truth!" Until I get it all out of my system. 

No comments: