12.31.2012

2013 - Get Ready to Rumble

Resolutions: 
1.) Lose 50 pounds.
2.) Quit smoking.
3.) Quit drinking.
4.) Get out of debt.
5.) Learn something new.

Kidding! 

Although the above are popular New Year Resolutions, I'm going to do something a bit different this year. Instead of making a list of resolutions I'll forget about within a week, I am going to make one solid resolution. This one resolution will receive all my New Year energy and, I believe, will help me attain all the other goals I've set for myself.

My New Years Resolution: Think Positive

Okay, okay, hear me out: I do believe positive thinking attracts positive results. I'm not completely in line with the Secret and the law of attraction, but I do think focusing energy on the positive aspects of your life currently, and positive outcomes you'd like to see, will make it easier, if not enjoyable, to work towards those goals. And inevitably conquer those goals.

Focusing on the negative, in any situation, really serves no purpose. Negative energy breeds negative moods, which attract negative people, and the whole situation continues to spiral down. However, focusing on the positive change to a negative situation is much more enjoyable, not to mention productive.

For example, if you knew running three miles this morning would take off ten pounds you would do it. So would I. But it won't... However, running three miles every morning for a month definitely will take off ten pounds. So, instead of thinking, 'Ugh, I have to run today... I hate running.' I'm going to think, 'I'm gonna run today and in one month I'll be bikini ready. Yay!' Geez that sounds nerdy... but you get the point.

The truth is, I'm a generally positive person. I can find the positive in anything. But just because I can, doesn't mean I always do... On the rare occasion my mood gets down, it can get really really down. I can spiral with the best of them. Recently, I've been working very hard to reach a professional goal that has had me feeling utterly defeated. It's a truly awful feeling that has done nothing but bring me down and make it more difficult to accomplish other things - like getting out of bed.   I know this goal is lofty, but I also know it is attainable. It is easy to feel like a failure and drown my sorrows in my comfy bed with my little dog and cry myself to sleep; but where's that going to get me? Certainly not any closer to achievement. I strongly believe that focusing my energy on succeeding, the feeling of accomplishment, and the pride I will have in myself is a far better use of my mental energy.

So get ready 2013 - I'm going to smother you with positive energy and you're going to love me for it. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this post. Keep em up, Disney. Power to the positive!

D said...

I'm also going to start listening to podcasts... I hear there's a good one called 'Femoir'???